Friday, November 18, 2011

Black and White Whimsy Tree

Black and White Whimsy Tree:

This is one of my favorite paintings so far and will be displayed on a wall in my home.
The funny thing about this painting is I didn't have any brushes small enough and I didn't feel like leaving the house to get some at that moment.  I used my make up brushes (eye liner and eye shadow brush) to paint this picture!  So, you can always improvise! 

I found a similar painting someone did online and decided to try it for myself with a few alterations.  I wanted my background to be black and the tree white, so I had my starting point.  I painted my background black and then drew with a pencil the outline of the tree.  Once I was satisfied with how it looked, I carefully started painting it in white.  This took several coats and a whole of patience.  If you mess up, just dip your brush in water and sweep the paint off.  An easier way to fix a mistake is to wait until the paint dries, and  then cover the mistake with the background color and start over.  You can make the process of drying quicker by using a hair dryer on the wet parts.

The great thing about this tree is you can shape it how you like and add the swirly branches and leaves to be your own.  =)
I think it would also be fun to add some silver highlights throughout the tree.



No comments:

Post a Comment