Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Making A Sweatshirt Smaller


I have so many sweatshirts in my closet that are too big, but I don't have the heart to throw them out.  So I experimented today with making one smaller.  I actually used one of my husbands old sweatshirts that he gave me a while back.  ;)

This will also work with long sleeve shirts as well.
 All you need is an old sweatshirt that's too big, scissors, sewing pins, and a sewing machine.


 Lay out the sweatshirt inside out and line up all the seams.  Starting at the bottom, cut a little off the sides going up to the armpit, but be sure to leave a little room to sew so it's not too tight when you put it on.  I cut mine going in a little in the waist to flatter my shape more.  If the sweatshirt is too big in the arms, cut going up through the armpits to the end of the sleeves.  Remember to keep the curve of the sweatshirt through the armpit.  The above is my sweatshirt cut from the bottom to the end of the sleeves.

Once you have the sweatshirt cut, you can pin it in place and sew it back together.  Once it is sewn together, pull it right side out and you're done! 
(In my first attempt, the arms and shoulders were still to big since it was a mens sweatshirt.  I went back and sewed the arms a little smaller and then cut off the excess.)

Now for Before and Afters!

                   Before:


                     After:


So much better!!  Happy Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment