Thursday, March 20, 2014

Delicious Guacamole



I am a huge guacamole fan, and it's one of my favorites if it's made fresh.  The hardest part is making it the same day I am craving it.  Avacadoes have that short sweet spot of readiness.  Most stores sell them green and hard, and you have to wait for them to ripen.  I always seem to find some ripe and ready for eating if I look hard enough through them.  ;)

I found a recipe on all-recipes a while back and have been using it since, with a few modifications of my own.  
This recipe is very forgiving except for the limes.  Do not add extra lime juice without tasting it first.  I once added too much, and it was very tart.  If you do add too much you can try to counter by adding more avacado.  If you're like me and don't have extra avacado lying around, letting it settle overnight in the fridge can calm the tart flavor quite a bit.

I usually double this because we love guacamole and leftovers.
Here is how I make guacamole.  

Guacamole:
4 avacados
2 tomatoes (diced) 
1/2 cup sweet onion (diced)
1 lime (juiced)
1 teaspoon minced garlic 
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)

Peel, pit, and mash avacado in a bowl.  How much you mash depends on your preference for smooth or chunky.  Add remaining ingredients and hand mix together.   Refrigerate for at least an hour for flavors to blend.  

It is even better the next day!   ;)

Happy preparing!

No comments:

Post a Comment